BASIC BIKE CHECK
A is for Air
- Inflate tires to the pressure listed on the side of the tire
- Use a pressure gauge to insure proper pressure
- Check for damage on tired and replace if damaged
- Inspect pads for wear; replace is there is less than ¼" of pad left
- Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub the tire
- Look to see that you can fit your thumb between the brake lever handlebar when the brakes are squeezed all the way
- Pull your cranks away from the bike – if they are loose, tighten the bolt
- Check your that your chain is free of rust and gunk
- To find the right size helmet, put one on your head without fastening the straps.
- The front of the helmet should be level and two-fingers width above your eyebrows.
- Shake your head from side to side: There should only be a little movement.
- The side straps should come to a point just below your ears - move the small tabs on the side of these straps up or down until they are a half an inch or less under your ear lobe.
- The chin strap should be about half an inch below your chin when your mouth is closed.
- Wearing a bike helmet with loose straps is the same as not wearing a bike helmet at all.
Share the road
- Bikes are vehicles and should act and be treated as such
- Laws that apply to motorists also apply to people on bikes
- If the lane is too narrow or you are going the same speed as traffic, take the lane
- Be visible and predictable at all times: wear bright clothing, signal and follow the law
- Wear a helmet